- Downtown Toronto (St. George)
Fields of Study
- Conflict, Violence and Genocide
Areas of Interest
20th Century Russia; Stalinism; Violence; Perpetrators.
Professor Viola is a specialist in 20th century Russian history, focusing on political and social history. Her research interests include gender, rurality, political culture, and violence in the era of Stalin.
She is the author of over 30 articles; five books; and the editor or co-editor of 19 books–A Researcher’s Guide to Sources of Soviet Social History in the 1930s (1990) (with Sheila Fitzpatrick); Russian Peasant Women (1992) (with Beatrice Farnsworth); Kollektivizatsiia i krest’ianskoe soprotivlenie na Ukraine: noaibr’ 1929-mart 1930 [Collectivization and Peasant Resistance in Ukraine: November 1929-March 1930] (1997) (with Valerii Vasil’ev); Riazanskaia derevnia v 1929-1930 gg.: khronika govokhruzheniia [The Riazan Countryside in 1929-1930: A Chronicle of Dizziness] (1998) (with S. Zhuravlev, T. McDonald, and A. Mel’nik); Tragediia sovetskoi derevni, 1927-1939: dokumenty i materialy, 5 volumes in 6 books [The Tragedy of the Soviet Countryside, 1927-1939: Documents and Materials] (1999-2006) (with V.P. Danilov and R.T. Manning); Contending with Stalinism: Soviet Power and Popular Resistance in the 1930s (2002); Politbiuro i krest’ianstvo: Vysylka, Spetsposelenie, 1930-1940 [The Politburo and the Peasantry: Exile, Special Settlements, 1930-1940] (2005-6) (with Sergei Krasil’nikov); Chekisty na skam’e podsudimykh [Chekhists on Trial] (2017) (with Marc Iunge and Jeffrey Rossman); Ekho bol’shogo terrora, 3 volumes in 4 books [Echo of the Great Terror], (2017-2019) (with Marc Iunge and Jeffrey Rossman); and Laboratories of Terror (2022) (with Marc Junge).
Professor Viola holds cross appointments with the Munk School and the Higher School of Economics (Russian National University).
- 2021 SSHRC: Gold Medal Impact Award
- 2019 Canada Council for the Arts: Killam Prize
- 2019 Royal Society of Canada
- 2018 Pierre Chauveau Medal Canada Council for the Arts: Thomas Henry Pentland Molson Prize
- 2018 American Association of Ukrainian Studies Book Prize
- 2018 Canadian Association of Slavists Book Prize
- 2018 Association of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- 2014 Reginald Zelnik Book Prize in History
- 2014 Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship
- 2011 University Professorship
- 2010 Fowler Hamilton Visiting Research Fellowship Christ Church, Oxford
- 2005 Killam Research Fellowship
- 2004 Killam Research Fellowship
- 2003 John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship
- 1997 University of Toronto Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teaching Award
- Chekisty na skam’e podsudimykh (Chekists on the Bench of the Condemned) (Moscow: Probel : 2017)
- Stalinist Perpetrators on Trial: Scenes from the Great Terror in Soviet Ukraine (New York: Oxford University Press : 2017)
- Эхо Большого террора. Сборник документов в трех томах. Том 1. Партийные собрания (Echo of the Great Terror. Collection of documents in three volumes. Volume 1. Party meetings) (Moscow: Probel-2000 : 2017)
- The Unknown Gulag: The Lost World of Stalin's Special Settlements (New York: Oxford University Press : 2007)
- The War Against the Peasantry, 1927-1930 (Yale University Press : 2005)
- Contending with Stalinism: Soviet Power and Popular Resistance in the 1930s (Cornell University Press : 2002)
- Peasant Rebels Under Stalin: Collectivization and the Culture of Peasant Resistance (Oxford University Press : 1999)
- The Best Sons of the Fatherland: Workers in the Vanguard of Soviet Collectivization (Cambridge University Press : 1987)