University of Toronto Funding Package
The University of Toronto provides doctoral-stream students a base funding package for up to five years of doctoral studies.
We are pleased to provide this package to all PhD students without major external funding from years one through five.
For the 2021-22 academic year, the minimum package is:
- $26,480 for domestic students
- $27,236 including UHIP for international students
The package is designed to cover a student’s tuition and provide the student with $18,500 base funding plus tuition and fees per year. The funding come from a University of Toronto Fellowship and teaching assistantship.
For 2021-22 academic year, the Faculty of Arts & Science base funding package will be $18,500 plus tuition and fees.
To remain eligible for the University of Toronto Fellowship, you must maintain good standing in your program and apply every year for Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) awards.
If you have major external funding worth more than $10,000, your package will be reduced by the difference between this amount and the scholarship.
Teaching assistantships not only provide valuable professional experience, they serve as an important source of funding and form a component of a typical U of T funding package.
Conditions of work and rates of remuneration are governed by a collective agreement negotiated between the University and the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE).
- View our TA hiring policy and apply for teaching assistant positions on our Employment Opportunities page
If you receive a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship or a SSHRC CGS Doctoral Scholarship, you are not obligated to work as a teaching assistant. You may waive your TAship if you wish.
Research Travel Grants
- The Faculty of Arts & Science and the School of Graduate Studies hold competitions annually for research travel grants. Funds are available for a limited number of doctoral students in the humanities to study or carry out research in Canada, the United States or overseas.
- We realize the importance of research abroad and also have limited research and conference travel funds available.
We encourage you to investigate your eligibility for financial aid:
- Financing Your Graduate Education (School of Graduate Studies)
- U of T Finances: general information on fees, funding, awards and more.
- 2021-22 full-time = $7,980 (Downtown Toronto/St. George campus, incl. incidental, system access and ancillary fees)
- 2020-21, full-time = $8,736 including UHIP (Downtown Toronto/St. George campus, incl. incidental, system access and ancillary fees and health insurance plan fees)