Fields of Study
Professor Lahusen’s current research interests focus on Soviet and post-Soviet cultural history and the study of cinema as historical source, which has materialized into the creation of a film partnership, Chemodan Films, which has produced to date several documentary films on Russia and China, including The Province of Lost Film (2006), Komsomolsk mon amour (2007), The Photographer (2008), Manchurian Sleepwalkers (2017) and Screening from Within (2017), shown at international film festivals and other venues. He is the author of Autour de l’homme nouveau: Allocution et société en Russie au XIXe siècle. Essai de sémiologie de la source littéraire (1982), On Synthetism, Mathematics and Other Matters: Zamyatin’s Novel “We” (in Russian, co-authored with Edna Andrews and Elena Maksimova, 1994), and How Life Writes the Book: Real Socialism and Socialist Realism in Stalin’s Russia (1997). His publications also include more than 50 articles, as well as the following co-edited collections: Late Soviet Culture: From Perestroika to Novostroika (1993), Intimacy and Terror: Soviet Diaries of the 1930s (1995), Socialist Realism without Shores (1997), What Is Soviet Now? Identities, Legacies Memories (2008), and a number of special journal issues: “Views From the Postfuture: Soviet and East European Cinema” (Discourse, 1995), “Aube Rouge: Les Années Trente en Extrême-Orient soviétique” (Revue d’études slaves, 1999), “Harbin and Manchuria: Place, Space, and Identity” (South Atlantic Quarterly, 2001) and Harbin : “Histoire, Mémoire et Différence” (Revue d’études slaves 2002).
- Late Soviet Culture from Perestroika to Novostroika (Duke University Press : 2012)
- Symphonic Stalinism: Claiming Russian Musical Classics for the New Soviet Listener, 1932-1953 (Lit Verlag : 2011)
- What is Soviet Now?: Identities, Legacies, Memories (Lit Verlag : 2008)
- Harbin and Manchuria: Place, Space, and Identity (Duke University Press : 2001)
- How Life Writes the Book: Real Socialism and Socialist Realism in Stalin's Russia (Cornell University Press : 1997)
- Socialist Realism Without Shores (Duke University Press : 1997)