- Downtown Toronto (St. George)
Fields of Study
- Conflict, Violence and Genocide
- Gender, Sex, and Sexualities
- Religion and Society
Doris L. Bergen is the Chancellor Rose and Ray Wolfe Professor of Holocaust Studies. Her research focuses on issues of religion, gender, and ethnicity in the Holocaust and World War II and comparatively in other cases of extreme violence. Her books include Twisted Cross: The German Christian Movement in the Third Reich (1996); War and Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust (2003); The Sword of the Lord: Military Chaplains from the First to the Twenty-First Centuries (edited, 2004); and Lessons and Legacies VIII (edited, 2008).
Prof. Bergen has held grants and fellowships from the SSHRC, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, the German Marshall Fund of the United States, the DAAD, and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, and she has taught at the Universities of Warsaw, Pristina, Tuzla, Notre Dame, and Vermont. Her current projects include a book on Germany military chaplains in the Nazi era and a study of definitions of Germanness as revealed in the Volksdeutschen/ethnic Germans of Eastern Europe during World War II and the Holocaust. Bergen is a member of the Academic Advisory Committee of the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies at the U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington , D.C.
- War and Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers : 2016)
- Alltag im Holocaust: Jüdisches Leben im Großdeutschen Reich 19411945 (Schriftenreihe Der Vierteljahrshefte Fur Zeitgeschichte, Band 106): Jüdisches Leben im Großdeutschen Reich 1941-1945 (Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag : 2013)
- The Holocaust: A New History (History Press Ltd : 2009)
- Lessons and Legacies VIII (Northwestern University Press : 2008)
- The Sword of the Lord: Military Chaplains from the First to the Twenty-First Centuries (University of Notre Dame Press : 2004)
- Twisted Cross: The German Christian Movement in the Third Reich (University of North Carolina Press : 1996)