Office Location: Munk School of Global Affairs, Room 112N
Professor Viola is a specialist in 20th century Russian history, focusing on political and social history. Her research interests include women, peasants, political culture, and Stalinist terror.
She is the author of a some 30 articles; four books — The Best Sons of the Fatherland: Workers in the Vanguard of Soviet Collectivization (1987); Peasant Rebels Under Stalin: Collectivization and the Culture of Peasant Resistance (1996); The War Against the Peasantry, 1927-1930 (2005); and The Unknown Gulag: The Lost World of Stalin’s Special Settlements (2007); and the editor or co-editor of A Researcher’s Guide to Sources of Soviet Social History in the 1930s (1990) (with Sheila Fitzpatrick); Russian Peasant Women (1992), (with Beatrice Farnsworth); Kollektivizatsiia i krest’ianskoe soprotivlenie na Ukraine: noaibr’ 1929-mart 1930 [Collectivization and Peasant Resistance in Ukraine, November 1929-March 1930] (1997) (with Valerii Vasil’ev); Riazanskaia derevnia v 1929-1930 gg.: khronika golovokhruzheniia [The Riazan Countryside in 1929-1930: A Chronicle of Dizziness] (1998) (with S. Zhuravlev, T. McDonald, and A. Mel’nik); Tragediia sovetskoi derevni 1927-37: dokumenty i materialy [The Tragedy of the Soviet Countryside, 1927-37: Documents and Materials] in 5 volumes (1999-2003) (with V.P. Danilov and R.T. Manning); and Contending with Stalinism: Soviet Power and Popular Resistance in the 1930s (2002).
She is currently working on a book exploring issues related to the topic of perpetrators of Stalin’s terror as well as co-writing the last volume of the Tragedy of the Soviet Countryside series for Yale University Press’ Annals of Communism. She is the recipient of grants and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Social Science Research Council, Social Science and Humanities Research Council, Connaught, IREX, John Simon Guggenheim Foundation, the Mellon Fund and the Killam Fund. In 2014, she was inducted into the Royal Society of Canada.
- The Unknown Gulag: The Lost World of Stalin's Special Settlements. (Oxford University Press : 2007)
- Stalinist Perpetrators on Trial. (Oxford University Press: 2017)
- The War Against the Peasantry, 1927-1930: The Tragedy of the Soviet Countryside. (Yale University Press: 2005)
- Chekisty na skam’e podsudimykh (Chekists on the Bench of the Condemned) . (Moscow: Probel: 2017)
- Эхо Большого террора. Сборник документов в трех томах. Том 1. Партийные собрания (Echo of the Great Terror. Collection of documents in three volumes. Volume 1. Party meetings). (PROBEL-2000: 2017)